Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Conversations with Sarah

I am simply amazed by this little girl. I love the way she calls the special people in her life "my ___(insert name)___" and a love her delight at anything brand new. She is certainly a treasure.

Recently, I sat down with her for breakfast and I talked with her about our day and how it would unfold. This was a particularly busy day. We had a camping trip to plan for and a house to clean.

I told her we would need to clean all our stuff. She looked at me very seriously and said "We have a lot of stuff. I have a lot of stuff. Mommy has stuff, Daddy has stuff. Isaac and Aaron have stuff." All the while, her hands are going in giant circles sweeping around to show me all the stuff.

It suddenly struck me how much we take for granted concerning all our "stuffs". Eleven months ago, Sarah had no stuff. Her clothing and toys were all communal and therefore ownership was something very alien to her.

So now she has stuff and she is proud of her stuff. Often she wants more stuff and I admit that usually I give it to her just to see the pure delight on her face. I wonder, do the rest of us middle class Americans see our stuff for how amazing it is and revel in what we have. I usually spend my time wanting different stuff. But I should change that because I do have a lot of stuff - even when I start thinking that I don't.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've thought a lot about how much "stuff" we have after moving last year. I think we could all do with a lot less "stuff" and it would probably be more pleasing to God as well.

OK grandma