Saturday, July 16, 2011

My child's Idea of the word Whore House

Tonight I made lasagna. It is one of my specialties and is eaten with gusto and true joy by my husband and children. They always ask for seconds and do not restrain themselves during lasagna eating dinners. Tonight was no exception and Sarah was covered with red sauce all over the mouth cheeks and nose.

Being a girl, she decided about half way through dinner to ask for a napkin. I was surprised to see she was such a mess. I guess I had my attention on my lasagna, too! Immediately, I handed her a napkin and made an exclamation of mock horror at her face. She giggled.

It was at this exact moment that Aaron very loudly stated that she looked just like a whore house. I wasn't exactly sure I had heard right.

Whore houses are not normal Stevens family topics of discussion. I asked him to clarify. Now Aaron is my child most likely to get into trouble and therefore, might have found out some how what a whore house actually was. As I asked for clarification. I was silently debating whether I should be angry or educational in my response.

Aaron also looked as if he thought that maybe he had made a mistake and was about to get sent away from his lasagna dinner. But sheepishly he said it again and sure enough he had said whore house.

"Do you know what that is?" I asked in my mostly calm but teetering on highly emotional voice. It was at this point that Isaac jumped in and said yes with great confidence. Isaac explained that a whore house was a scary place. You know like Halloween scary. Aaron at the same time is nodding his head in agreement with a look of complete agreement and assertion in his belief.

After a moment of deep thought, I said "No, I think what you are talking about is a Haunted House. It is not at all like a whore house." Nathan disagreed with me there, but for the sake of the children's senses didn't allow that conversation line to continue.

Needless to say, we had to have a vocabulary lesson about that term and hopefully we will hear it no more at our dinner table.

2 comments:

SaraToday said...

Horror House hee hee

I once told my sister to stop her "bitchin' and moaning" because is what Grandma said about people on the news. Mom was not pleased at my new vocabulary.

Anonymous said...

Funny funny funny! Glad they didn't actually know what a whore house was!
Gma Stevens