Saturday, July 14, 2012

Daniel, The Lion's Den and Me - A Spiritual Birth at VBS

Vacation Bible school starts this coming Monday and I am very excited.  I love the energy, the fun and the learning that goes on during VBS.  Not to mention that my church uses a really great curriculum provided by LifeWay Christian Resources that is very easy to do. 

But probably the biggest reason that VBS is in my heart is that many years ago when I was about 8 and living in Columbia, MO.  I went to VBS and trusted Christ as my personal savior for the very first time and because God saves by His Grace - the only time that was necessary. 

We had just learned about Daniel and the Lion's Den.  I remember listening to the story and being amazed that God could protect Daniel from such danger and literally close the lions mouths all night.  How trusting Daniel must have been in his heavenly protector.  My 8 year old brain was mulling these things over when we went to worship at the end of the morning.  The pastor spoke to us and questioned us on where we stood on believing that Jesus was the Son of God and came to save us from our human nature of sin.  Did we believe that he could protect us and care for us.  Daniel and the Lion's Den broke into my thoughts.  Did I have the faith of Daniel?

It was at that moment that I felt the tug.  The almost physical pull in my chest that I needed to walk up to the front and tell the pastor that I wanted Jesus as my savior.  But I didn't go.  Walking up to the front of a church with so many people looking at me and wondering about me was more than I could bear.  So I stayed stuck in my seat and I squelched the pull that I should be moving deep down inside of me.  I decidedly ignored what I knew I should be doing and I stayed in my seat until worship was over and my mom picked me up.

But God doesn't quit and the Holy Spirit will not give up on a good work.  So, the tug came back at a red light on the way home from VBS.  It became restlessness and physical uncomfortableness.  I could not ignore God.  In the back seat of my parents beat up chevy chevelle (brown interior) I bowed my head and submitted.  I prayed that God would forgive me of all the things I had done and I thanked him for sending Jesus as the way to Him. 

Peace, Elation, Freedom immediately followed.  It was like nothing I have ever felt before and I am sure I will never feel again. My grin spread across my face and stayed plastered there for several days.  I was joyous.  I felt God's presence so clearly.  When I doubt my faith, as occasionally happens to all who believe I remember this time of  great even elation.  I remember my thoughts changing and my conscience changing. 

This didn't make ME a great person and I am still not a great person.  But it made me a forgiven person.  A person who began to see through eyes like Jesus's.  Am I perfect, Ha!  I will never be and I am ashamed of some things I have done and probably will do, but I am always forgiven and taken care of.  I believe one only has to read other entries in this blog to see how God has taken care of me and my family. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just another wonderful thing I have in common with my wonderful daughter-in-law. I had a similar experience, but it was in the evening after a revival service in a small country church in southern Arkansas. I slept like a baby for the first time in a week that night. We all become so jaded and toughened as we get older and it helps us to remember when we were saved. Thanks so much for reminding me and bringing tears to my eyes. Love, NS