Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Happy Birthday Aaron!

This weekend we celebrated Aaron's 6th birthday. One of my favorite parts of the boys' birthdays is making their cakes/cupcakes. I usually let them help a little, but since cake is a creature where taking time is essential to the frosting not dripping onto my table, almost always, the boys are not up to witness the final touches.

So, I finished Aaron's fairly simple cup cakes and showed him the final product the next morning. They were all iced, sprinkled and with a letter of his name on each one. He sucked in his breath, opened his eyes wide and started announcing to his brother. "Look, Look, my cupcakes are done." and "I want one, now." He was galloping around the room with a look of joy and feeling special. I love those moments. I love the looks of excitement and knowing it was my work that made the boys feel that way.

Nathan was still working on the 4 layer cake baking at this time, so I was the first to show him his treats. Aaron's birthday consisted of cupcakes AND birthday cake AND a good amount of presents. He played with a friend all afternoon and actually dug into his lego set and started creating ships! A great turn around from a couple weeks ago when he said he wanted legos, was given legos and then said he didn't want them anymore.

We did promise the boys and combined birhtday Wii system in exchange for me not having to plan huge expensive birthday parties at Chuck E. Cheese. (Ugh, I hate that place). Unfortunately, the levels of supply and demand are out of whack and Aaron has a Wii game and no Wii to play it on- still. I am searching, and most likely will eventually order it on line.

All in all, his birthday was a success.

Since turning 6, Aaron has informed me that he would no longer call me Mama, because only babies did that. He also managed a whole night in his room - by himself. I am hoping for two!

1 comment:

julie said...

Ethan had lots of fun! Thanks so much for having him be the 'special friend'!... that made him feel, special.