Sunday, January 25, 2009

The Look

A bit cold today, but the wind was not whipping around us at 40 miles an hour, so we got the Air Hog out today.

Isaac got his remote control Air Hog for Christmas, but today was the first day we took it out. We had multiple outside activities going at the same time, and really we didn't want to put everything away. Therefore, we just decided to fly it in the front yard. - Really, what could happen, right.

All was well for a while. I would repeatedly say directing words such as "Keep it low. Don't go near the houses. Good job!"

Then I made the fatal suggestion to let me drive the plane. Isaac threw it up and I pushed the button. Off it went sailing through the air. I was turning the controller watching the plane bank to the left and the right all the while sailing higher and higher. Pretty soon the Air Hog was higher than the two story house two doors down from us and I was pretty sure it was angling the direction of that houses roof. I tried to make the airplane come back down or turn a little more sharply back to the street.

It never made it. The Air Hog disappeared over the highest point of the roof and all sound from the plane stopped.

I immediately yelled "I'm sorry" and "I tried to keep it off the roof!" We all ran to the neighbors house and looked up. Sure enough the plane was resting on the top slant of the roof. The wind wiggled it a little here and there, but it obviously was not coming off the roof without help.

Isaac turned and looked at me with the look that said something like "I can't believe I let you fly my plane." but what he said was "Mom, I forgive you."

Fogive me! I hadn't killed it yet. I still had a chance to get the plane back. Nathan went to ring the doorbell and inform our neighbors about the stow away plane on their roof, but no one seemed to be home. We stood there on the front yard and stared at the plane - willing it down. But it just wouldn't budge.

We considered just going to get a ladder, but thought it might be considered rude for them to find Nathan halfway on their roof retrieving our plane. So, we wrote a note instead and scotch taped it to their front door.

When they found the note, the neighbors called. Nathan was the ultimate hero. I had gotten the plane stuck. Nathan however, used a 20 foot ladder and a telescoping painting pole with a zipp tied fishing pole at the end to get the plane back.

He got a whoop of "Yeah Daddy" in direct contrast the the look I got, but at least the plane lives to fly another day.

2 comments:

The Jerrolds Family said...

At least it didn't dive into a neighbor's head, an action I feel I may have caused... How sweet of your son, regardless of what he may felt to still say he forgave you. You are raising him so well!

Anonymous said...

Glad you are a teacher and not a pilot!

Love,
Oklahoma Grandma