Thursday, June 12, 2008

Harriet

Our newest edition to the family is Harriet. She came to us last November. I was driving home and had just entered our housing edition, when I spotted the cutest little ball of fur. She reminded me of the three cocker spaniels I had growing up. I watched her sniff her way around a mail box as I drove by. Then the idea that this little bundle had lost its home, so I turned the car around and drove up to her. I opened the car door and commanded "Come Here". She looked up at me and ran to the car, jumped in and looked at me as if to ask where are we going.

I had both boys with me at the time, and so I asked them to check to make sure it was a girl. It had a pink collar, but I know that I would find it it funny to put the wrong color collar on Pete, so I am sure someone else would also think it was funny. The boys checked and proclaimed her a boy. Well, that was that. I will not have another boy dog - ever. So, we took Harriet home and I started calling Vet offices. No one had reported the sweet thing missing. Meanwhile, Harriet met the other two dogs and my children were telling me that HE would be a great addition. I was not to be thrwarted, however. I put my boys back into the car and we went to the vet. I just knew a dog of this caliber would have a chip that would tell us who the owner was.

On the way to the Vet, the boys named her Harry after Harry Potter. Unfortunately the Vet office found no chip and also proclaimed her to be a boy. But to her credit, she only inspected her from a distance.

Soooo.....later that night, I was eating dinner with my parents - new dog in tow, of course. After all, HE might not feel comfy at our house alone. I decided to play a little with our new Harry and rolled HIM over to rub his tummy. As I scratched, my finger hit something large and round and white. This did not seem right. Not long after, my mom and I figured out Harry was a girl.

Harry became Harriet. No one ever called us to claim her and now she is ours. I have never heard her bark at anything, and yet she has quickly cowed Pete. She always gets to eat first and she gets first pick of the crates when it is time to go to bed.

Please, without further ado...meet Harriet. She sits up to get cheese which is her favorite food and she is very cute. Sorry about the color on these. I am not sure why I couldn't get a good pic, so these will have to do for now.

No comments: