Wednesday, February 4, 2009

A Smooth Morning

It is amazing to me that February has come so swiftly. We are completely back into the swing of school and today was, once again, the EARLY MORNING. If I could type "early morning" in shaky scary letters, I would.

Each Tuesday, I begin mentally preparing for the early morning. I set out clothes, bags, etc. I resign myself to the fact that I will not be wearing make-up or doing my hair. I get ready for the parent/child showdown with the sleepy-eyed boys who hold fast to their covers as I pry them up to do their morning routine.

However, today it was not so scary. In fact, the word serene floats in my mind as I think of how smoothly this morning went. Nathan, the alarm clock, woke up Isaac and I wrangled Aaron out of bed and into the bathroom. All I said to Aaron was "Come on, it's our early morning" and the boy was moving. He wanted to go to out to breakfast. He knew that his new "Parenting with Love and Logic" mommy would not take him to a greasy fast food restaurant one minute after the deadline.

The deadline is where we leave no matter what, even if teeth aren't brushed, food isn't eaten and clothes aren't on. I refuse to hum above them and remind them to keep getting on with the routine. By the way, I have never actually had a child leave the house naked. In the last week or so, they have left the house looking rather frightening, but never unclothed. - Thank goodness.

Anyway, both boys were ready and in the car 5 minutes before my newly imposed deadline. I even got my makeup and hair done this morning.

I was impressed. I drove down the road smuggly saying to myself - see the parenting with Love and Logic really works. I am a mom in control. I have created expectations and they are being met. I have been calm and yet immovable. I have not hovered over them like a helicopter to get out the door. They now understand and respect the deadline. It is their responsibility. I am SuperMom.

In the middle of my elation a wave of realization hit me. We certainly did get out the door on time. The boys were perfect. I was not. All medications needed to keep Aaron's bladder relaxed and bacteria free were not taken and were left at home which was 20 minutes behind us. I winced knowing what this meant for my little boy. But, I shook it off and was thankful that at least missing the meds would only mean things would be a little messier.

My SuperMom bubble got deflated real quickly - but, hey, that's life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've had many a morning like this, hang in there, Spring Break is coming!