Thursday, February 12, 2009

The State of the Family

There is a lot of talk on t.v. and the radio about the state of our economy. However, I believe more important is the State of the Family.


It is a constant struggle to keep schedules and obligations at a manageable level. These last couple of weeks, I have felt that the Stevens' are losing our battle. Each day is taken with the noble efforts to work and learn. Each evening has been taken up with other "noble" obligations such as college classes, boyscouts and basketball to name a few. Plus the daily tasks of taking care of a special needs child. I hate to even bring up the S.N. child thing, but it does change your existence. Time is monitored differently and extra brain power is used to make sure all goes well. As of right now all our noble enterprises and daily routine seem more like part of the list to be checked off at the end of the day.


I wonder how much is too much. Where does a family draw the line at the busyness? I used to listen to other families talk about this struggle and not feel the pressure of it myself. I thought it would be easy to draw our line, but I now understand. There is nothing on our busy list that seems frivolous. A well reasoned case can be made for each area of work. And so, the rat race scurries on.

I write this not to complain about my life, but to question it. I ask if this is what God meant for our daily lives. How do we make the most of the opportunities without sacrificing our family? Do I dream too big? What is really not important? How do we make the right decisions?

I do not have the answers to these questions. But I will search for them and in the mean time...

There is a pin prick of light at the end of the tunnel. I think it's called Spring Break. And it will be here in about 4 weeks. Until then, we will meet our obligations and our family will survive.

No comments: