Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Becoming a Stevens

Sarah is becoming more and more like a Stevens each and every day. I can see her trust in us grow each day by way of her demeanor, talkativeness and willingness to try English words.

Today I went to run an errand at the back of the hotel lobby while Nathan showed her ivory carvings in the front cases. As I rounded the corner to find them, she saw me and began to tug on Nathan’s arm yelling Mama in her exuberantly loud voice. She broke from him and came running to me with great delight – giggles and all. I picked her up and she wrapped her arms around me and held me like I was the best person in the whole world.

She also makes her wishes known a little more often and is more relaxed. This morning she climbed on my lap spontaneously. She also gets very excited about our daily routines, especially if they involve some type of personal grooming for her.

She still carries her backpack around all the time and still stuffs it full of what is important to her. Mostly this includes wipes, hair clips, her tiger (our pictures are in the LCD screen on its belly), pullups, clothing, socks, and recently used napkins. In looking at the list, all these items are things we have given her to keep her clean or take care of her. At night and during nap, the backpack and her socks and shoes come off and are laid next to her in a neat and orderly fashion. She is very proud of her abilities to organize her things, open the hotel room door with the key (Daddy and Mommy can never get it to work) and clothes folding. I can’t wait to get her to help me tackle my continous laundry pile problem.

1 comment:

julie said...

So sweet... made me cry! So happy for you - and Sarah!