Wednesday, December 22, 2010

When Did Saying Stupid become worse than OMG

Each year in class we read Eve Bunting's, A Picnic in October. I love the story for many reasons, but most importantly for the symbolism of Freedom that I get to discuss with my newly assimilating students. I love to hear what they believe freedom is and what they think of their new country. It is also a time where I get to hear background on my students. They tell some of their stories to me and my eyes are always opened just a little bit more to what some people go through in order to make it to the U.S. and the great opportunities that we have in this country.

The only draw back to the story is the one part when a character says the S word -you know, stupid! The kids always suck in their breath and some will even say Miss that was a bad word, I can't read it. Literally, I have had students stop reading and refuse to say this word out loud. It has always led to huge discussions about how the word is not bad, but just not always nice. etc, etc.

This has always really bothered me since, I have never thought any word was bad, perhaps some words are not polite or justified for public use, but all words have a place that is why people began using them.

The only phrase that really grates on my nerves is OMG. Said by my little ones completely and without a blinking eye to the fact that they just said the Lord's name in vain. It is a definite "do not do" in my class. However, I am constantly fighting this battle.

This year it hit me square in the face. I had just asked my third graders to again not say OMG and suddenly they were open mouthed, eyes wide, and stuttering because the word stupid was on a page in a book.

All I know to say about this revelation is WOW, How did We as the collective educationalworld (parents included) let this huge misappropriation of angst happen!

1 comment:

Cassie said...

Girl, I am right there with you. Since Caleb has started kindergarten, he is now saying "Oh God!" I know he didn't hear that from me so I'm assuming it is something he learned at school. Making me absolutely crazy! I'm trying to teach him to saying something else...but it's not going so well.