Monday, May 19, 2008

A Taste of the old Days

I am sitting outside tonight as the sun goes down. I know that my children should be getting to bed and that we have an early morning tomorrow. But, man am I feeling the summer itch. Maybe it is because we spent the entire last weekend at a friend's pool, or maybe it is the fact that next weekend is Memorial Weekend and we have a lovely 4 days planned at a cabin by a lake. In any case, I am right now sitting in my front yard watching a group of 4 boys ages 5-8 enjoying a pick-up game of baseball. I am thinking thoughts of lemonade, swimming holes and summers in cut-off shorts and old canvas shoes. These days are far from the reality of the high tech world in which we live. The fact that I am typing this on a laptop with a wireless router is enough evidence to that effect. But in the middle of all the trappings or this modern technological world 4 boys are playing a very unorganized and badly played game of ball on their neighborhood street. It is classic. It is pure. And Norman Rockwell would be proud!

2 comments:

The Jerrolds Family said...

I love this! Roy & I actually sat on our deck last night in the summer's night cool air. (No tv at all!) When the heat comes, I think of the same things...

SaraToday said...

That sounds lovely and relaxed. I am jealous of the pool.