Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Teacher Talk

It is May. Hovering above my head is the sweet smell of summertime. I can't quite grasp it, but it is there taunting me with its relaxing aroma of coconut sunscreen and salty sea air.



I love summer, but I also love the school year. I just love it more in September when it's newness is more crisp. I have reached the point in the school year where everything must be incredibly engaging for the students to even pay remote attention to what is being taught! So today, I walked into school with flour, salt, several kitchen implements, a bowl, several downloaded videos, paper plates and paint. We created three dimensional landforms, researched "The Great Storm" of Galveston, worked with a computer program to paint book illustrations, watched videos on different career choices and almost had time for painting Indian stamp art with the 1st graders. Yep, just a normal day at an elementary school for an ESL teacher.

With that said, I am tired. I have been busy all day and I have no energy for the household work. This is my excuse for never getting my childrens' baby books done, never having the laundry folded and almost always having dishes in my kitchen sink. But such is life. I think I would really be missing out if I couldn't see all my students smiles, excitement and the ultimate wide-eyed look of understanding a brand new discovery.

2 comments:

Charity said...

You sound like a wonderful teacher! I always loved the beginning of school in Sept. it was always my favorite time of year even when I taught. Hope you have a wonderful summer!! I know you are probably ready for a break. :)

Kelli said...

Angela,
Wow! Kelli found your blog through Heather Jerrolds (Dirks)! Your boys are soooo handsome! I haven't heard from your parents in ages! I'm glad to hear that you and your family are doing so well.
I understand how difficult May is with school. I've been working the last 7 years as the principal's secretary at an elementary school. My school is 3 blocks from Trinity, and we have a poverty level of 78% and EL of 68%
Hang in there, there's just a few weeks left! Tell your mom and dad "hi" from the Rice's
Lori