Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Boys Who are Very Very Good

I stood at my youngest sons' side today as he was xrayed, poked, prodded and sonogrammed. We started the yearly rounds at 9:45 am and we finished at 2:30ish. It is a long day for a 5 year old, especially when he is the proverbial science project. But, as I stood there I remembered the nursery rhyme about the little girl with the curl on her forehead. When she was good she was Very Very Good. But when she was bad ,she was horrid.

Aaron has had his horrid days. But today he was exemplary. He was cooperative, sweet, inquisitive and kind to everyone he met. One Dr. took great delight in his discovery that his heart isn't heart shaped. We saw it on Xray, so there is no denying it. We read stories, watched podcasts on my ipod and played Simon Says and I spy games while waiting for the entourage of people making the rounds to see him.

I don't really mind these days at Scottish Rite Hospital. The Doctors and Nurses are experts and kind. They treat the parents like we are part of the healthcare team and they mean it when they say comprehensive care. Not to mention that everything at SRH is kid friendly and FREE! Today was such a contrast to last weeks eyeglasses beginnings, that I felt the need to chronicle it.

I didn't have to tell him twice to put on his seat belt. He went potty with me when it was time with out complaining. He ate grilled chicken and didn't complain that it wasn't breaded and fried. He ate fast when I said he only had 5 more minutes. Amazing! This morning he even got up and asked where his glasses were so he could wear them! Ahhh, I feel the fruits of my labor growing ripe.

I realize that this moment of perfection will not last forever. But, I am not always a glass half full person, especially when I am in the throes of a conflict. Therefore, I am writing this to let everyone who might read this know and to remind myself that if my child or another child is being very very horrid. Then stay calm, stick to your guns and tomorrow perhaps they will be very very good!

Side Note - Aaron is healthy and can hold exactly 250cc of liquid in his bladder before it leaks out and currently there is no reflux into his kidneys.

Side Note 2 - Isaac spent the day cleaning up the rent house with Nathan. He was a great help and earned a little money toward his next DS game. He also started piano lessons up again after a three month hiatus. That boy can practice each song 5x faster than a speeding bullet. After all, he has to get back to his gaming. Don't worry grandparents, he is limited to one battery a day or 1.5 hours electronic time. Which ever comes first.

No comments: