Saturday, July 26, 2008

VBS is Put to Rest and Moving on South

The week was hurried. The week was busy. The week was crazy. But, the week was fun! And I am tired. It is always one of the best weeks in the summer. Vacation Bible School. I have been part of this American Summer Tradition for at least 25 years so far (counting the years in the nursery of course). I actually know parents who planned their summer in such a way as to make it to as many VBS weeks as possible. It is a great way for the kids to be busy and out of their houses and their mother's hair for 3 hours.

The theme Outrigger Island: Living God's unshakeable Truth was, in my humble opinion, the best theme ever. The music was great. The Bible truths were simple, to the point and relevant to what children today must face in the very shaky world in which we live.

I have lots of stories that I am banking in my head to write about, however, I am just too pooped. We went from VBS in the morning to two hours of swim lessons in the afternoon at an outdoor pool. It was sooooo hot! From there, I had to get ready to teach the next day's VBS lesson. We also somehow found time to go on a day date, swim at our friends' pool and then have a cubscout summer party, (thankfully at someone else's house)!

Nathan helped me this year and he was surprised by the amount of work it takes to get a lesson together. I wasn't surprised at all. Teaching kids anything takes tons of work!

My big idea this year was to actually use the digital camera project that was suggested in the book, so I on the last day of VBS I got it in my head to make a movie from still pictures via Windows MovieMaker. The second graders would be my actors and narrators. We did finish The Good Samaritan - Hawaiian Style. And, yep, I did bite off more than I could chew. Imagine that. The movie will not make its world debut, however, because I forgot to have the students take off their nametags before recording their images. Ooops.

I managed through the week though and treated myself to doing very little this morning and getting my second mani/pedi for the summer. I am now ready for the beach!!!!

No comments: