Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Jugs and Drugs

Once in a blue moon we would get a snow day growing up. It was very once in a while because I lived in Missouri then and regularly went to school in knee deep snow. Now, occasionally we still get a snow day. It is more of a black ice and crazy driver day, but still I get the rush of getting a freebie. A whole day without schedule. An opportunity to do nothing and catch up on what ever I am behind in.

So this morning at 5:30 I started my wake up routine only to be interrupted by the house phone. The ringing felt odd at this hour and I thought, surely not, but deep inside I knew the caller was the bus dept. Nathan answered the phone and got the news, no school. This started to sound like a very elaborate joke, because we were not expecting no school. The weather didn't seem too bad outside - just amazingly cold. On came the t.v. and school was definitely called.

One of the great things about a day like today is the opportunity to linger at the dinner table. Tonight, while eating, Aaron started talking to us about girls with red dots who live in England and carried jugs on their heads. We explained this was probably India. He agreed and we kept the conversation going. He kept explaining about the jugs, and then he suddenly said he didn't know why they carried the jugs since he learned in school that you shouldn't do
jugs. They are dangerous. "Those girls dipping river out into the jugs should find something else to carry the river back to their villages." he said.

I tried to keep a straight face - but yeah right. That was classic. Jugs instead of drugs. These funny little miss understandings are exactly what makes living and working with children such a joy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good morning! Enjoyed the Jugs story. That is cute. Glad you got a day off. No such luck here in Stillwater for school or work. Looking forward to seeing you guys next week.

Love,
Grandma S

The Jerrolds Family said...

Oh my goodness! So precious & funny! I love it! The other night, Emma & I were laying in bed and she was getting theological on me... I started to say, "Your God loves you so much..." But I was drawing out the "YOOUUURRR --- GAWD---" and she cut me off and said, "WAIT! I'M GOD???" These moments kill me! :)
Thank you for the wonderful compliments- I ALWAYS look back on my time spent with you & your family with very very fond memories!

Anonymous said...

Cute story! Thanks for sharing your blog with me! Becki