Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Lucky 13

13 years ago I stood in front of a young man who is now my partner and has held my heart for almost half my life. Back then I was niave and alturistic. I had pie in the sky hopes and dreams. I had no idea what I was doing.

13 years later some of those dreams (and others I had no idea about) are now a reality. However, my life is not and never will be a pie in the sky. I have often thought that I am glad we all must live life in linear fashion. As I look back on the years, I am not sure I would have had the courage to continue if I knew some of what would face Nathan and me. Yet, life has happened and Nathan and I have moved with it together.

Last night we sat and discussed our greatest accomplishments to date. The only rule was it must not be our children. The children are definitely up there, but them as a response would be way too easy. We were going with deep thoughts.

As we talked, I got an amplified sense of us as real partners. Sometimes I push at things and sometimes he quietly sits a waits for things to happen. At times we both puff up and bump heads. But together, we are a team. My affection, love and need for him grew again last night as I sat talking with him.

In spite of my niavity at age 20, God was with me and helped me make the right choice in a lifetime partner. I have been blessed beyond measure. God gave me the right partner to have as we moved from our first out- of- college jobs to our current jobs, became parents of a kid with special needs, and began working our way towards the "greater good" through education, service, ministry, and family.

In linear form, I am unable to know what will happen in the next 13 years. What ever it might be, my prayer is simple...By Your grace, my God go we...together.

1 comment:

The Jerrolds Family said...

I cannot believe it's been thirteen years... I remember your "bachlorette" get together: ice cream & movie night.
I read your blog & I am actually a little weepy- in a good way. It is so awesome to actually have a good man, a godly man to partner with and be part of a team with.
13 yrs in this day is a testimony!
Congratulations, Angela & Nathan!