Saturday, December 6, 2008

Fast Forward to Christmas

Our Thanksgiving holiday turned out fairly well. We roasted marshmellows, sang songs and told stories around a bonfire and ate loads of food. It was complete with all four of us having a stomach bug right before or during the holiday. That didn't stop us from going to Nathan's homestead and visiting, though.

Then we rushed right back to the daily grind complete with our own children and students believing that the Christmas holiday has already begun. Therefore, this week has been filled with lots of angst in regard to doing what before we have always done. Here are examples of what I get to hear daily.

"Mom, why do I have to do all the work." After unloading the dishes, one time.
"I don't want to do the project over. I can read it just fine." Sure you can read it, but your teacher's 40 year old eyes will not be able to see your pencil scratches on blue construction paper.
"My teacher says I don't need to study my sixes." Upon me asking him to study the morning of the test.
"I am not tiiirrred." Said while crying at 8pm when they got up at 6am.

It has been a littany of these little things. In fact, as I write this both boys have been sent to their respective rooms for fighting.

But I digress...

One of my most difficult lessons that I must learn over and over is that I don't have to be in the middle of everything. I went to exercise this morning and ran right into the parade and Home Town Christmas Extravaganza that our little town always has the first weekend of December. I immediately called my adoring husband and said we should join the bounce house fun that I saw before me. The cute homey crafts, hot cocoa, visiting Santa and the allure of being in the middle of excitement was sucking me in to their fold.

Unfortunately, I heard no excitement in my darling H's voice. He hates crowds and a morning filled with the revelry of Home Town Christmas is like death by a thousand nicks to him. The rest of my workout, I silently struggled with not going. I want to be there and see it all, and I wanted to rest. Back and forth, my thoughts pulled me. But in the end, logic prevailed. I reminded myself that Christmas doesn't have to be a continuous race to see it all and get it all. In fact, Christmas should be a time when you get to slow down and enjoy the blessings that we all have.

I can rejoice that I have (currently) two healthy boys, Nathan and I have good jobs doing things we love, and supportive family and friends. In the perilous world in which we all live, this is about as good as it gets.

So please, all who might read this, have yourself a very Merry and restful Christmas.

Also, please take a look at the blog prayforeli.blogspot.com The Ramirez family can use our prayers.

1 comment:

Charity said...

I totally understand about the "Christmas rush" to see everything and try and do it all. It is very refreshing to just sit still and enjoy your family without always going. :)
Hope you have a Merry Christmas...if I don't see you at church between now and then.