Friday, July 31, 2009

Goodbye South Dakota

When I was riding in the back of the SUV toward SD, I had no idea what to expect. The last time I had been in the Black Hills I was 13, give or take a year. Anyway, I had forgotten how barren and ugly Nebraska is. As a child growing up in Missouri and close to the Kansas border, we would make fun of flat, boring Kansas. Well, Kansas is a Six Flags compared to Nebraska- with the exception of Carhenge. Who knows why someone built it, but there it was erected out of foreign and domestic cars and in Nebraska.

This vacation wasn't the restful slow crawl of our beach vacations. Each day this past week we were up and out of my Aunt and Uncle's home by 8:30 and on our way touring beautiful mountains known as the Black Hills. Pine trees stood straight and tall up the sides of hills. They stood in stark contrast to the walls of gray rock that towered above our heads. During our stay we marveled at the beauty and the cool weather around us. We played tourist to Mount Rushmore, Rapid City and Custer State Park.

The boys petted buffalo and wild donkeys. They raced up the sides of mountains and stood looking out over a cliff to a pristine lake below. We took in a dinner show and paddleboated. In all, we had great fun. We had a grand time,but wished that Nathan could be with us. He would have loved to climb a mountain with the boys, delighting in their shouts of "Hey mom, I am taking the dangerous way!" Their first time in a mountain environment.

I will soon post pics and video of all the granduer we saw in the Black Hills. Aaron got over his illness by the third day, and it was all up hill from there! Except, Nebraska - I can really do without Nebraska, maybe it was the miles and miles of ....corn.

No comments: