Friday, August 1, 2008

Galveston Part 3 - the Upheaval

I just reread my Galveston Part 2 blog and realized that my brain was on vacation, too. Oh the run-ons and fragments! It will be revised soon!

We are now home again. As we drove into our neighborhood, I told the boys to look around and tell me where we were. Aaron piped up quickly. "We're home! I love home! It is so cuddily!" That statement warmed my heart to know that the boys enjoy home as a place of comfort and relaxation. As much as the beach was fun, home is always better.

Yesterday, Nathan discovered that the open waters of the gulf are not his friend. He came back from his 12 hour fishing trip with a vivid knowledge of the boat's cabin and bathroom. Unfortunately, as soon as the fishing boat rounded the jetty to open sea, Nathan felt the first 4 foot swell of water raise the boat and plop it down for the next swell to raise it up again. As the boat came down everything inside of Nathan went up, and Nathan's fishing day was over. This was especially sad for Nathan who has been wanting to do this type of fishing excursion for the last 5 years and had finally talked me into it.

Cody, Nathan's long time boy scout buddy, went with him and caught plenty of red snapper for both Nathan and him. So considering red snapper is 18.00 a pound at the local market, we feel the trip was still successful. But the dream of retiring to a sea worthy vessel and fishing for pleasure and money as gone by the wayside. As Nathan said, that dream has set sail without him. From now on, he will crab and do wade fishing where his feet can be on solid ground.

For the kids and me, yesterday was simply a day at the beach and pool.

We have only 18 days left of summer vacation. I felt a little heart palpatation just now at the thought that our summer will soon be over and our winter schedule will soon swing into high gear. As for now, I am determined not to think about it.

No comments: