Wednesday, August 6, 2008

"I'm A Genius"

In a state of incredible self esteem, Isaac announced to me this evening that he is a genius. Now, personally, I believe this to be true. I am pleased with the fact that at his tender age of 8 he feels like he can create what he wants, own the world, and self actuate himself. I am very aware that in a few short years all his feelings of assured ability will change due to adolescence. I am praying that he will be strong enough to muddle through that time and come out on top.

However, tonight, Isaac is not worried about his teenage years. He is just happy he has learned to open my locked bedroom door with one of those little plastic bread closures. You know, the ones on every unopened bread bag in the grocery store. His grin went to both ears as he stood in front of me and giggled at his new found ability. He now has the power to open my door whenever he wants. He has a little more control over a bit more of the house. He has a little bit of access to my secret quiet times. (As if I really ever get these) At this point, Isaac stood in front of me and said "I'm a genius. Can you write about this in your blog?" Well, how can a mom say no to that!

I was not angry at Isaac for stripping away my momentary peace, however. Seeing his glee and triumph are all it takes for my annoyance to be tempered with joy. It is my prayer that I will see the same glee and triumph in years to come. I hope it never fades!

No comments: